Preparing for Surgery
Once your surgery has been scheduled, you will be notified of the date and time. A nurse from the Center will then contact you with a pre-operative questionnaire that will help us provide the most thorough and appropriate care. Please read this information carefully and follow the instructions.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight unless your physician/anesthesiologist states otherwise.
- You may bathe/shower and brush your teeth without swallowing water the morning of the surgery.
- Remove all nail polish and make-up.
- Leave all jewelry and valuables at home except for necessary co-payment obligations (i.e. credit card, check, etc).
- Bring current photo identification (drivers license, ID card, passport, etc) and insurance card.
- If you wear glasses or contact lenses, bring a case to protect them.
- If there is a possibility that you may be pregnant, please notify your surgeon.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the Center and be present when you are ready to leave. (At least one adult per patient is recommended or both parents with their child).
If you experience any changes in your health between the times of your last office visit and your scheduled surgery, please notify your physician. Examples of changes in health include a cold, cough or fever.
Day of Surgery
Upon arrival at the Center, your registration will be completed and you will meet your surgical team to prepare for surgery. Any additional questions that you may have will be answered at that time.
After your procedure is completed, you will be in the postoperative care unit, where the average time spent is one hour, depending on your procedure and the type of anesthesia given. When recovery is sufficient, the anesthesiologist will release you. Your Physician will provide you with specific postoperative care instructions after your surgery. In addition, please follow the general instructions below.
- Follow your physician’s instructions regarding activities, diet, rest and medications.
- Plan to have a responsible adult drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours after your surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours following your surgery.
- For your protection, avoid making important decisions or signing important documents for at least 24 hours following your procedure.